Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Good Plan Foiled

As the release of the seventh and final Harry Potter book loomed like the prospect of an outstanding bottle of wine, I found myself trying to figure out how to handle it. Hey check it out, I'm prosaic today! It's because I've read too much...of a...book...no particular book just a book...hey...stop badgering me...I can put it down whenever I like...no I won't tell you what page I'm on! I told you to leave me alone!

I'm sleep deprived and I have the lovely Ms. J.K. Rowling to thank for it. Yes, I bought the book last night and yes, I had tremendous difficulty putting it down to get some work done this morning. I'm only annoyed because I had a perfectly good plan for dealing with the release of Book Seven. I worked late last night. Much later then normal and I didn't get of until about eleven thirty. I knew that would be the case. I'm also working late tonight.

I thought it best that, considering my busy weekend, I should buy the book Sunday morning. By then the stores wouldn't be crowded. I could pick up my copy, maybe have a cup of coffee and then spend the whole day reading. This way I wouldn't have to go through what I'm going through right now which is writing as fast as I can so I can get back to reading. I wouldn't go through what I'm about to go through at work which is a long, arduous shift during which I won't be able to focus on serving because I'll be concerned about the book. What's going to happen? What if my apartment burns down and I can't find another copy? What if I'm hit by a falling piano on my way to my car after the shift? This won't do at all!

You see my problem. None of this would have happened if I hadn't run out of parmesan cheese. I told you before, I can't eat without cheese. It's a practical impossibility. I got off work late. I only needed to warm up dinner and go to bed. But on my way home, I remembered that I was out of parmesan. This meant I had to stop at Kroger's. I pulled in, expecting to run in and run right back out. Guess what Kroger's had on their shelves because by the time I got there, it was after midnight? I paced the aisles for fifteen minutes before I realized what a jackass I was being. I bought the damn book and that stupid package of cheese and I haven't looked back. Man, tonight's shift is gonna suck.

Of my progress thus far, I will only say this. I'm further then I'd like to admit. Is it good? Of course it's good. The woman's written six outstanding books about this story. Did you really think she'd blow it now by killing everybody but Hagrid and Bellatrix on the third page then sending them down the Mississippi River on a raft for the rest of the book? Get a grip. I only know that I've now wasted twenty minutes writing when I could have been reading. Lemme alone, dammit, I'm going back to my book!


"It's not right. It's not fair. I'm still a mess and you still don't care." - Fountains of Wayne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home